In order for the teeth to be healthy at all times, attention should be paid to the foods and beverages consumed, as well as oral and dental care. Dentist Mahmut GENÇ gave information about tooth-friendly foods and foods that harm teeth.
The most valuable mission of our teeth is undoubtedly nutrition. The food we take for our body is first taken orally and becomes digestible with the grinding and breaking function of the teeth. For our general body health, we have to consume foods and have a stable diet. However, in the foods we consume, there are foods that are extremely beneficial for our teeth, as well as foods that negatively affect our dental health. For this, it is necessary to know the foods that are friendly to teeth. Here are the most beneficial foods for our dental health:
1. Milk and dairy products
Milk, yoghurt and cheese are the foods in the first place in our teeth and gum health. These foods protect the teeth and prevent caries formation with their high calcium and phosphate content. Due to the basic properties of cheeses, the acidic environment in the mouth is neutralized and acids are prevented from causing tooth decay.
2. Fruits and vegetables
Vegetables and fruits take on the task of protecting dental health with the minerals and vitamins they contain. Fruits such as pomegranate and orange tangerine containing vitamin C should be consumed for gum health.
Banana peel is an easy and practical formula for teeth to regain their natural whiteness. However, it should be avoided because of the sugar they contain.
3. Water, green tea and other herbal teas
Drinking water, green tea and other herbal teas are beneficial drinks for dental and gingival health due to their antioxidant and antibacterial properties. Its benefits have been proven when consumed without sugar. Acidic drinks are drinks that should not be consumed because of their abrasive properties on tooth enamel and because they cause caries.
Waste foods for dental health
- The most damaging foods for teeth are those containing sugar and sugary sodas.
- With the consumption of these foods, the bacteria in the mouth consume this sugar and form acid.
- The acid causes destruction on the hard tissues of the teeth and leads to the onset of caries.
- These foods should not be consumed or oral care should be done carefully after consumption.
To protect the health of the mouth and teeth…
- We should brush our teeth for 2 minutes at least 2 times a day.
- We should definitely visit our dentist every 6 months.
- We should pay attention to our nutrition for the health of our teeth and gums.
- We should not neglect our oral care.